So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning was not even using it, literally no explanation for this pic.twitter.com/sQ8CJt4Y69
— Bree✨ (@briannaolivas_) February 23, 2017
Olivas tells Mashable her phone wouldn’t turn on Tuesday, so she took it to the Apple Store. After a couple of tests, employees told her the iPhone was fine and it soon began working normally again. She charged the phone near her as she slept that night, and the next morning her boyfriend moved the phone to the dresser. As he went to the bathroom he saw the phone smoking and heard it squealing. It soon caught fire and he “quickly grabbed it and threw it into the restroom,” where it blew up.
Olivas has since turned the phone over to Apple for further testing, with the Cupertino company saying it’ll know more within a week. An Apple spokesperson said the company is in touch with Olivas and is “looking into” the matter.