Group texts can be useful for coordinating between multiple people at once, like if you’re choosing where to go for dinner with your friends.
But they can also become quite annoying if they’re used excessively. If you’re getting swamped with notifications, you might want to leave the group text.
Unfortunately, Android phones don’t allow you to leave a group text in the same way that iPhones do.
However, you can still mute notifications from specific group chats, even if you can’t remove yourself from them entirely. This will stop any notifications, but still allow you to use the group text.
Read on for more info about how to mute an Android group text.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to mute a group text on Android, or delete it
1. Open your messaging app by tapping on it. For the purposes of this guide, we’re using the Messages app that comes included with Android phones.
2. Tap and hold the conversation you want to mute.
3. Tap the “Notifications” button in the bottom-left of the screen.
A small mute icon will appear next to the conversation, and you’ll no longer receive notifications about it.
If you want to remove the group text from your messaging app entirely, you’ll need to take one more step.
4. After muting the group text, tap and hold the conversation again, then tap the “Delete” button in the bottom-right of the screen.
5. When a pop-up window appears, tap “Delete.” This will remove the group text from your messages, but any time another person texts that original group chat, the group text will reappear in your messages. You’ll still receive those texts until the group text creator removes you.